Tuesday, March 23, 2010

contemplative arts festival

I am going to have my work in a very different type of show this weekend. It is called the "Shambhala Arts Festival - A Celebration of Contemplative Arts" (at the Shambhala Meditation Center, Brunswick, ME), and it has been described as the opposite of a Pecha Kucha night. Art, music, poetry, and other forms of creative expression will be featured throughout the evening, and attendees will be encouraged to focus on one piece of work at a time. It will not be a rapid-fire presentation (like a Pecha Kucha night); instead, the pace will be slower, allowing people to pay close attention to what they are seeing and/or hearing. I am very happy to be a part of this show and I am grateful to Patricia Boissevain for telling me about it. I am also grateful to Rebekah Younger for allowing me to participate. Rebekah is helping me out quite a bit because I cannot attend the show (due to a work obligation) and my actual paintings ("Rocks, Gloucester" and "Heather's Place") are committed elsewhere. She came up with the idea to project images of my paintings onto a wall (the way they will be showing photographs) and have someone read my statement for me. I wish I could be there, but at least my work (and my words) will be there and that's the most important part.

No comments: