Saturday, December 31, 2011

it was a very good year

What a year 2011 was! When I look back on everything that's happened this year, I'm struck by how busy things were. Where do I start? Well, January marked my very first First Friday Art Walk solo show at the Closet Factory office/showroom on Congress Street. This was a trend that continued all year long, and I'm pleased to say that I didn't miss a single one (not even when we had that freak snowstorm on April Fool's Day). Hopefully next year will even better!

Speaking of shows, I was in a fair amount of interesting ones, including solo shows at Biddeford Savings Bank in Scarborough and Scarlet Begonia's in Brunswick, a group show at Thornton Oaks, and another appearance at the Gorham Art Fair. It was my second time running a collage workshop for kids at the Family Arts Festival (with help from Patricia Boissevain this year) and my first time participating in a benefit for The Gathering Place, a new day shelter in town.

Of course, the 10x10 Brunswick was a major event for me. My "Lemon" painting came in third place in the publicity contest, and as a result, I ended up on the radio as one of six artists promoting the show. Plus, an image of my painting ended up in the Portland Press Herald! At the end of the year, my "That Heavenly Coffee" painting was one of seven images used on the poster for the Downtown Moves Up show as well, so I think it would be fair to say that it was a good year for getting my work out in front of people.

Personally, I had a wonderful year. I was fortunate enough to share these and many other events with my wonderful friends and family members, and I was able to make connections with many new people through my art. I want to thank everyone for all the support, and I hope 2012 is filled with blessings of love, peace, joy, creativity, and prosperity for all of us! See you next year.

No comments: