Tuesday, July 16, 2013

hot and sticky

Here we go again...I haven't been blogging as much as I ought to be, and for that, I am sorry. It seems like every few weeks I begin a post this same way! At least I know better than to say "I'll never do it again," right? Let's get right to it, shall we?

Yes, this seems to be the Summer of Magnets: hot and sticky all around. I am so, so, so thrilled to report that people are really responding to my magnets. Friends, family, and complete strangers are buying them left and right; they're being given as gifts or kept in a place where they will be seen every day. My magnets are being carried in many wonderful local shops as well, and the list keeps growing: Estilo, Jai Yoga, and The Mix in Brunswick, Maine; Cafe Creme in Bath, Maine; and The Elf Shelf gift basket business in Claremont, New Hampshire! It's exciting and fun and I couldn't be happier about it. I'm up to 11 different types of magnets, and I've had more than a few reorders at this point.

July's Second Friday Art Walk was absolutely fantastic. The turnout was fabulous, the weather was beautiful, the live music was great, and lots of friendly faces made their way into my room at 98 Maine Street. The magnet sales were brisk, and I got a ton of positive feedback. In fact, I had a lot of really interesting interactions with art walkers. One was a young boy who had visited my room during last year's art walk. Back then, he had asked me if I had work on display at Spindleworks. I had been in the "tiny" show there last year, and it blew me away that someone so young recognized my style. Well, this time, he asked me if I'd be having work on display at Spindleworks again anytime soon! I smiled and told him that I had applied for consideration in the "tiny, take 2" juried show and that I hadn't heard back yet, but that I hoped they liked me enough last time to include me again! Another interesting visitor was a woman who asked me if I had a show earlier this year at Curtis Memorial Library. She told me that she must have caught it towards the show's end, because when she went back to the library to see it again, the next show was up. Even though she missed it, I thought it was very nice to hear that she had made a second trip. Plus, the man who bought the painting I donated to the Family Arts Festival last year walked into my room! That was pretty cool. He had been looking around (the room was full of people at this point), and on his way out, he casually said, "Yeah, I love your work...I bought that gelato spoon peace sign painting," and I said, "What? I've always wondered who bought that painting!" I shook his hand and thanked him for satisfying my curiosity. I hope next month's art walk brings more of the same!



No comments: