Monday, March 3, 2014

march madness

It has been a busy week! Let the recapping begin!

A few weeks ago, I was asked by Nicole Rosenberg Myers if I would be interested in donating a piece of art for a silent auction to benefit the Portland Public Schools' Multilingual and Multicultural Center (as part of their "Rock Around The World" event). Nicole is great, and it sounded like a worthwhile cause, so I said, "Yes!" I got an idea right away for a 3" x 3" painting, which I entitled "Love Globally". I figured this would be a piece I could get done relatively quickly because of two things: 1. the size, and 2. the fact that I had a pretty clear vision of what it would look like. This was good because the "Rock Around The World" event is on March 21st, and I wanted to make sure I could get my painting into Nicole's hands with time to spare. I finished the painting I had been working on for the previous month (which is of the polar bear statue on the Bowdoin College campus!) and launched right into "Love Globally". Thankfully, "Love Globally" did come together quickly, and this past Monday, I was able to meet up with Nicole and hand it over to her (with plenty of time to spare)!

Love globally, act locally! 

I'm hoping the fact that it's small will make "Love Globally" appealing to prospective bidders. If you're interested in bidding on "Love Globally" and supporting the Portland Public Schools' Multilingual and Multicultural Center, please check out the "Rock Around The World" Facebook page!  https://www.facebook.com/multilingualportlandpublicschools

Another deadline that came and went this past week was the "early bird" discount date for Second Friday Art Walk applications! I am happy to say that after some image-related false starts, I was able to get my application completed and returned in time to take advantage of the discounted rate. I had no problems getting my forms filled out or choosing which painting I wanted to choose for the brochure ("Old Fat Boy Sign," in case you were wondering), but I had big-time issues with re-sizing my photos (72 vs. 300 dpi, 800x800). I stayed up very late one night working on it, and after quite some time staring at the computer screen and clicking various boxes, I thought I had it figured it out. I was very pleased with myself, and I emailed everything off to the Five Rivers office. To make a long story short, I didn't do it right. I tried to fix it, and that wasn't right either. I started to panic, and I did the only thing I could think to do: I went on Facebook and made an open-ended plea to my friends for help. Thankfully, my friend Donna (who is a graphic designer and a photographer!) happened to be on Facebook at the same time, and she replied right away with an offer to take care of it. I emailed her the images I had, and voila: within a matter of minutes, I had the re-sized images in my inbox! WHEW. Thank you, Donna, for coming through for me! I have to say, my friends are pretty awesome...Donna was the first to step up, but a bunch of people posted to that thread with offers of help and support, and that made me feel great. I do get by with a little help from my friends...

Speaking of friends, Tim and Rick visited from New York this week, and we had a blast! They were here from Wednesday evening through Sunday morning, and we packed our time with lots of laughter, food, friends, and art. We visited the lovely and talented Susan Mills at Markings Gallery in Bath (www.MarkingsGallery.com) and Tim walked out with one of Susan's newest vessels. While we were chatting, Susan mentioned that my picture made it into the March issue of The Cryer (www.thecryeronline.com)! I was very excited to hear this, and I made a mental note to keep my eyes peeled for a copy. Well, it wasn't long before I found one...not only is my picture in the paper, but there is a quote from me in an article about Second Friday Art Walk as well! Here's the article:

deadlines, deadlines...

and here is the picture:

Thanks to Keith Spiro and his ninja-like photo-taking skills!

What a nice surprise! I'm happy with the picture, and I'm glad that Terry is in it, too! Keith captured us in mid-conversation with Clay from El Camino, and running into her at the Joy Of Art opening reception was another nice surprise. I wasn't able to attend the "artist's talk" on Saturday because of previous commitments with my out-of-town company, but I'm really glad I was able to be at the opening (as if you couldn't tell from my smile)!






No comments: