Wednesday, August 27, 2014

something old, something new

Lots of exciting things are happening...I've got some catching up to do! Where do I start?

First of all, I will have three paintings on display at The Cupcakery (97 Lisbon Street, Lewiston) as part of this month's Art Walk Lewiston/Auburn! Please stop by on Friday, August 29th (from 5pm to 8:30pm) and check out all the fun! The streets and shops will be filled with art, music, and smiling faces. If you can't make it, or if you do make it but you can't get a particular piece that you saw out of your head, don't worry: the fine people at L/A Arts have set up a website allowing purchases to be made after the art walk has ended! If you can't remember an artist's name, but you can remember where you saw their work (or vice versa), that's okay, too: you can search either way! Isn't that handy? I haven't been to The Cupcakery yet, but that will change on Friday. I am excited to have my work in a new place! Plus, one of the pieces I submitted is "This Is The Year," which is a birthday cake painting...perfect for a bakery!

Secondly, after taking a bit of a hiatus, the Gorham Art Fair is back, and it has a brand-new name: Artoberfest! October is still several weeks away, but I'm bringing up this show because I managed to register at the last minute! The original deadline was August 1st- which I missed- and instead of kicking myself for not being on top of things, I picked up the phone and called...what a novel concept! Sure enough, the deadline had been extended to August 22nd, so I was able to get in on time and not be a high-maintenance case for the organizers. Whew! Anyway, the location will be the same (Shaw Gymnasium, Gorham), the weekend will be the same (just before Halloween!), and the fun community spirit is sure to be the same as well. Each vendor will be donating some art to a raffle (I'm planning on giving a four-pack of magnets, although I'm not sure which ones yet), with all of the money raised going directly to fund student scholarships enabling them to participate in after-school and summer arts programs. What a great idea! Not only am I looking forward to being in a show with friends who I haven't seen in a while, but I've got my fingers crossed in hopes that the Gorham Grind will be back to keep us fueled with their fabulous coffee!

Another show that's a few weeks away is the 10x10 Brunswick! The drop off was this past Saturday from 9:30 to noon, and although I had finished both of my paintings ("Praying Mantis, Amy's House" and "Sugar Snap Peas") for this show back in July, I arrived at the drop off roughly twenty minutes before closing. I suppose I'll never fully shake the whole waiting-until-the-last-minute habit, but I have gotten a lot better at it, and that's what matters, right? Anyway, the 10x10 is always a fun show, and I recommend you mark your calendars for Friday, September 26th! You won't want to miss it (and you won't want to wait until the last minute, either)!

Waiting patiently...

There are other things brewing right now, but I'll end this blog post with a bit of news that I'm really excited and more than a little nervous about: I've been asked to give a painting workshop at Maine Behavioral Healthcare in Brunswick! The workshop is scheduled for the end of September; it will be roughly an hour or so long, and the group will likely consist of anywhere from five to eight women. I am grateful for this opportunity, and I hope I can give everyone involved (including myself) a fun and pleasurable experience! As always, I will keep you posted...stay tuned! 

No comments: