Saturday, January 9, 2010

new year, new art

Well, so far 2010 has gotten off to a productive start. I have finished one new collage already and I am almost done with another one (which I just started yesterday). I have also been working on a new painting, and I just got an idea for another one while I was in the shower this morning. It feels good to have so many ideas swirling around in my head.

This coming Thursday (January 14th) I will be participating in "Sixty Minute Expressions" at Thornton Oaks in Brunswick (which reminds me: I will need to add the listing to my "shows" page early this week. I'd post the announcement itself but unfortunately my name was misspelled...hard to believe, right? Ha!). Anyway, I did it last year and had such a blast that I wanted to be a part of it again. "Sixty Minute Expressions" is an event where a group of artists get together and paint for a set amount of time (it's actually longer than 60 minutes, but that's okay). People wander around and watch the artists while they are working. Everyone chats and has fun, but there is also a sense of urgency involved because of the time limit. When that time is reached, the brushes get put down, the opening reception starts, and so does the bidding. All paintings are auctioned off to benefit the Midcoast Hunger Prevention Program, so not only is this a fun experience, but it's for a good cause as well. Last year the turnout was good so I'm hoping it's even better this time. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to paint!

No comments: