Sunday, January 8, 2012

happy new year, happy anniversary!

Well, this month's First Friday Art Walk was a lot busier than I thought it would be! It was the one-year anniversary of my rotating solo shows at the Closet Factory office/showroom, and it was a wonderful night. The traffic flow was heavier than last month's, which was a real surprise, and the people who did make it out were really engaged and paying attention to the artwork I had hanging. My dear friend Jennifer Moscone of Interactive Tarot (www.interactivetarot.net) even had a client come all the way from Bath just to get a reading! Several friends made it out (thank you Erica, Rebecca, and Jen C.), which is always nice, and many of the people who stopped by have become regulars or semi-regulars. I know it's not easy for people to come out when it's cold, so I'm very appreciative when it happens.

I got some wonderful feedback from Art Walkers, too. One little girl (who, with her parents, has become a regular) looked at a new collage and exclaimed, "Forty dollars? That's it? That's a really good price! If I made that, I'd charge five hundred dollars for it!" My favorite quote of the night may have been from Celine, though (by the way, I went to high school with Celine on Long Island and now we both live in Maine...how weird is that?). She walked in and said, "I came tonight because I needed to see COLOR!"

2 comments:

Kendall Press said...

Maria,
You have some great entries at the Joy of Art exhibit at the Topsham Public Library. Really liked "this is the year" NOW - colorful and exuberant!
Keith

maria said...

Wow! Thank you so much, Keith! It's so nice to get positive feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing the show on Saturday!