Friday, February 17, 2012

another home for art

While I was at the Gorham Art Fair this past October, I had many conversations with a lot of different people. I gave out a bunch of business cards, but didn't really expect anyone to get back to me...so it was a very pleasant surprise when someone did!

I can remember my conversation with Jan Robinson (of Jan Robinson Interiors) that Saturday afternoon: She had been walking around at the Gorham Art Fair, collecting business cards from people whose art she liked. She was working on getting her new interior design space, EcoHome Studio in Portland, up and running, and was hoping to feature the work of local artists right from the start. The space was being completely renovated and that was quite a process, but things were starting to come together and she figured the shop would be open in early 2012. She took my card and told me I'd be hearing from her within the next few months.

True to her word, Jan emailed me a couple of weeks ago. She told me that EcoHome Studio would be opening in a matter of days, and to please contact her if I was still interested in displaying my artwork there. Naturally, I was, and this past Wednesday, I was able to stop by and check things out. Both Jan and Katherine (her assistant) are very nice, and the space is extremely inviting and absolutely beautiful. When we spoke on the phone earlier that day, Jan told me that she was looking for two or three pieces from each artist (small works would be best right now because things were filling up). I couldn't decide which two or three to bring, so I brought a bunch...and she ended up taking five!

For the locals reading this, EcoHome Studio is located at 334 Forest Avenue, right next to Oakhurst (where Pier One used to be); hours are Monday through Friday, 10 am to 6 pm and Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm. They are hosting a grand opening reception on Friday, February 24th, from 4 pm to 8 pm (including wine, champagne, hors d'ouevres, and drawings for gift items) to introduce themselves to the community. Not a bad way to spend an evening!

No comments: