Thursday, March 20, 2014

branching out

A lot has been going on lately, and I feel like I've been branching out all over the place! Here's the scoop:

First of all, I do believe I jumped the gun on making that "Curtis Creative Spaces" announcement! I had thought everything was finished, but evidently, it wasn't. Whoops! I've put up what I believe is the correct link for my page...I fixed it on my previous post, but here it is again, just in case you don't feel like going back to find it: www.curtiscreativespaces.com/maria-castellano-usery/.  If things change again, I will let you know!

Terry and I made it out to Lewiston on Friday for some magnet restocking and a tasty lunch at She Doesn't Like Guthrie's...here's the newly-filled display:

menus and magnets

If you haven't had lunch at Guthrie's yet, you need to change that! Terry and I both ordered burritos, and when Heather (the owner) brought them over to our table, I said, "This is huge. There's no way I'm going to finish." Well, I ended up eating every bite because it was so delicious, and since they use natural, organic, and healthy ingredients, I didn't feel ridiculously stuffed afterwards! By the way: get the guacamole...it is SO yummy. 

In other news, I am thrilled to announce that I now have magnets for sale at Dahlia in North Berwick! If you find yourself in North Berwick, please stop by! Dahlia is absolutely adorable, and Kerri Moriarty Morton (Dahlia's owner) has all kinds of cool stuff to offer, including soaps, candles, lotions, art, antiques, pillows, cards, etc., etc., etc., many of which are made by local/independent artists/artisans. Thank you, Kerri, for the opportunity, and thank you to my friend, Posey, for making the online introduction! It feels really good to be able to add another town to the list of places where my work can be found. 

Today, North Berwick; tomorrow, the world! 

I finally finished my submission for the Unitarian Universalist Church of Brunswick's "Chair-ity Auction"! You might be wondering, "Didn't you already donate artwork to an auction?" Well, yes, but that was a different auction for a different cause (Portland Public Schools' Multilingual and Multicultural Center's 9th Annual "Rock Around the World!" event, which takes place on Friday, March 21st). The Unitarian Universalist Church of Brunswick's "Chair-ity Auction" takes place on Saturday, May 3rd, and proceeds go to the Oasis Health Clinic and MidCoast Hunger Prevention. The chairs are provided, prepped, and primed by the UU church volunteers, and right now, my painted chair is waiting to be polyurethaned: I delivered it this afternoon! The deadline to turn in a completed chair is March 31st, so if you're interested in being a part of this event, you'd better get on the stick (http://5raa.org/paint-a-chair/ fmi). They're planning to display some of the submissions in area shops to raise awareness and interest in the event and their causes...fingers crossed mine will be one of them! Here are some pictures of my chair: 

Here's the front...


...and here's the back!

This chair was a lot of fun to work on! It took a while to do, but I had a great time with it, and I'm pleased with how it came out. The quote ("When happiness shows up, always give it a comfortable seat.") comes from the 1999 film version of "A Christmas Carol". I love this quote, and when I first heard about the auction, I knew that's what I would end up painting on my chair. 

It is now very late ("So late, it's early," as Terry would say), so I will end this post here. Hopefully I'll be back before too long with more to share! 


No comments: