Tuesday, July 1, 2014

stick around for joy



I know, I know...I haven't blogged in a while! June's Second Friday Art Walk (which landed on Friday the 13th, on a full moon, and with Mercury Retrograde in full swing) was pretty slow. Torrential rains kept most people indoors, so I am extra-grateful for everyone who did show up! My dear friend Heather stopped by St. Paul's to say hello, and she and Terry braved the rain to stroll up to The Gallery At 11 Pleasant. They were just in time to overhear a stranger say something nice about my art (I believe the quote was, "Her work exudes joy!"). I also had a visit from Emily and her little girl, Maya, and that was a major highlight of my evening. Maya is around four years old, and let me tell you, she is a fabulous audience to have looking at and appreciating your artwork! She was jumping up and down with excitement in front of several pieces, pointing at her favorites and images she recognized ("Kitty! Owl! Cake!"). She even gave me an idea for a new tiny painting! Before they left, she gave me an enormous hug, and I was really touched by her genuine enthusiasm: it made the slow night much easier to get through. I did manage to sell a magnet, though, so even though things were fairly dead, crowd-wise, my magnet-selling streak is still alive and well!

Here's my June pop-up display! 

Speaking of magnets, I was able to pay a visit to She Doesn't Like Guthrie's in Lewiston today! I brought along a bigger cookie sheet, which allowed me to add "Kuroda Lights" and "Polar Bear, Bowdoin College" to the rotation. The staff there is always so wonderful, and I am so grateful to have my work in such a cool spot. I treated myself to a delicious iced chai, and left with a Guthrie's bumper sticker proudly displayed on my car! In case you were wondering, here's a picture of my bigger, better, and fully restocked magnet display...better yet, pay Guthrie's a visit and see it in person! 

Sometimes bigger IS better!




No comments: