Saturday, August 11, 2012

hot off the easel

Brunswick's Second Friday Art Walk was yesterday, and I am very happy to say I sold a piece! Terry's uncle George was in the area- he lives in Virginia and he's currently doing the "New England family tour" vacation- and he made a point to stop by and see me last night. I figured we'd chat for a while (which we did), but he surprised me by picking out a 3" x 3" painting to purchase as a birthday gift for his granddaughter. The painting is called "Blue Kitty", and it's a fun little piece. I put the finishing touches on it late Thursday night, and it has now officially become the piece with the fastest turnaround time I've ever created- roughly 18 hours! I hadn't even had a chance to take a picture of it when he said he'd like to buy it. I snapped a couple of quick shots and so did he, so between the two of us, hopefully there's at least one good photo of it in the bunch.

Speaking of 3" x 3" paintings, the "tiny" show at Spindleworks had its opening reception last night. My "pop-up" location this month was 98 Maine St. and Spindleworks is on Lincoln St., which is right around the corner. Anyway, a little boy walked into my room at Art Walk last night with his mom and some other family members. I'm bad at guessing ages, but I think he was roughly 10 or 11. He looked around for a little while and said, "Do you have work in the 'tiny' show?" I was pleasantly surprised that this young kid was able to recognize my style and make that connection. "Yes," I said, "and, by the way, that's a very big compliment for an artist- being able to recognize their work- so thank you for that." His mom was pleased but not surprised: "He doesn't miss much" was her take.

I am happy to say that I will be at 98 Maine St. again for next month's Second Friday Art Walk (thank you, Connie Lundquist, for letting me keep my metal display racks in the storage closet this month). I'm hoping I'll be able to get the same room I did this time and last time. It gets hot in there, it's true, and the smell from the exhaust pipes of neighboring restaurants gives off the aroma of fried Chinese food, but I've found that well-placed fans and constantly burning incense can help to remedy those issues. In fact, I got a lot of compliments on the incense last night, so not only did it have a practical purpose, but people appreciated the atmosphere it created. Plus, the room is absolutely gorgeous, and it's very well lit. Fingers crossed...

No comments: