Wednesday, May 26, 2010

the road less traveled

I am thankful for flooded roads. I know that sounds odd, but if it weren't for flooded roads, I wouldn't have a painting on display at The Giving Room in Southold, NY this weekend. I was on my way to my mom's house early last month (when I picked her up to go to Frank's Change of Command) and there had been several days of heavy rains. Many of the roads on the east end of Long Island were completely washed out, as I discovered when I got off the ferry at Orient Point. There was a detour set up, so I followed it, and that's when I spotted The Giving Room. Their sign really jumped out at me: the words "Yoga", "Art", and "Philanthropy" were prominently featured. I scribbled down some information and told myself to look them up when I got home.

"Giving Hope" is the name of the event happening this Memorial Day weekend. There will be four days of community events (including yoga classes, live music, poetry readings, and an art auction) and part of the proceeds raised will be to benefit The Retreat, a local domestic violence service. I am so excited to have one of my paintings ("Seated Mountain Pose") up for auction, and I am happy to be involved with such a worthwhile cause.

No comments: