Friday, June 25, 2010

have art, will travel

It's been two weeks since I last posted, but once again, I have a good reason. Terry and I did a little traveling and went to three Phish shows in the span of six days. The shows were great, and we were able to sneak in some time with friends and family as well. I knew we were going to be gone for a while, and I didn't like the idea of being away from artwork for so long...normally I just give myself a break from my daily time in the studio whenever we go away, but usually we're only gone a couple of days at the most (and I try to make up for it the best I can before we go away and after we get back). This time, I decided to try something new: I brought along some watercolor pencils and a little sketchbook. I have had these pencils for years and I only recently picked them up to work on Tim's tattoo design (they had been sitting in a drawer in my studio before then). I had the impulse to pack them the night before we left, so I followed it...and I am glad I did. It was great to be able to whip out a quick drawing or two each day while we were gone, and since things were so portable, I could do it in the car while we were stuck in traffic or while waiting for dinner to be ready at my sister's house. I even did a little sketch of the clouds overhead while we were in the parking lot before one of the Phish shows, and now I am working on a painting of that very drawing. I think this may change the way I approach going away for the weekend!

No comments: