Monday, May 9, 2016

may i catch up?

May 1st was the one-year anniversary of my mom's passing, and yesterday was Mother's Day. I can think of no better way for me to pay tribute to my mother than to dedicate my next Brushstrokes With Impact (tm) "Paint-a-Thon" event to a cause that she was passionate about: feeding others. Every time my parents would go to the grocery store, my mom would have multiple items in her cart for the church's food bank (canned goods, peanut butter, sometimes even cookies). After they would get home, my dad would reach for a cookie (not realizing its intended destination) and she would scold him, saying, "That's for the poor!" to which he would reply, "Well, what's for the rich?" My dad had a million of 'em, including the phrase he used to describe my mom, "small but mighty," and that's the name I'm giving to this month's event. Please join me at She Doesn't Like Guthries on Friday, May 20th, from 10am-6pm; this month's charity is the Good Shepherd Food Bank! If you can't be there in person, that's okay: long-distance support is always appreciated! Here's the link for the Facebook event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/485366764982251/) and here's the link to buy raffle tickets online (https://www.carii.com/#/fundraising/paint-a-thonsmall-but-mighty). 

So...what else has been going on? Well, my dear friend Tim came to visit recently! We had a great time, and not only was he able to pick up "Earth Flower" (the painting he won in April's Brushstrokes With Impact (tm) "Paint-a-Thon"/Every Day is Like EARTH DAY), but he added "Mexicali Ganesh" to his collection as well! Talk about going to a good home...thank you, Tim, for your friendship and your support! I am grateful for you. 


saying "so long" in Brunswick...

...and "hello" from its new home in New York! 


Oh, yes: last week, I led my first-ever paint bar-style class at Curtis Memorial Library! I was nervous, but it went really well. I wrote about it in my most recent Curtis Creative Spaces blog post, so if you'd like to read that story, please click the link: http://curtiscreativespaces.com/its-a-hoot/. In the meantime, here's a picture!

photo credit: Sarah Brown
  


Finally, I'm happy to say that my May show at She Doesn't Like Guthries in Lewiston is a two-person show with Keith SpiroKeith has been a collector and a friend, as well as an advocate for my Brushstrokes With Impact (tm) campaign, but we've never shown our work together until now. The show went up on Friday, May 6th, and we really packed the place! Please stop by sometime this month to see for yourself, and while you're at it, treat yourself to some tasty food

a taste of the show!

No comments: