Friday, September 16, 2011

bad, bad blogger

It's been over a month since my last post (*slapping wrist*). As you might have guessed, things have been pretty busy. I'll try my best to give a brief recap:

-The 10x10 show is coming up soon! My last post mentioned that I was the second runner up in the contest for the show's promotional materials. I haven't seen any articles in the paper yet, but I'm hoping that something will come out in the next week or so and that my painting will be included; if so, I will post it here.

-"The Community Paints: Summer In Maine" show at Thornton Oaks is still going on (through September 22nd). I am happy to say that both paintings I submitted were chosen. The opening reception was quite packed (as is usually the case with shows at Thornton Oaks). I ran into some other members of Brunswick Art Collaborative and it was great seeing them and their art. I met a man named Rudy at the opening ("like Rudy Vallee", as he said) and he was collecting signatures from all the participating artists! I laughed as I signed his card (the announcement for the show) and said, "Well, I hope someday this will be worth something!"

-I am very happy to say that my First Friday Art Walk listing has made it into the Portland Press Herald two months in a row! I made it into Portland Monthly magazine's September issue as well (they did a "First Friday Art Walk Guide" feature; Patrick Dempsey is on the cover), but I was a bit bummed about the way that turned out...they didn't mention my paintings (only my mixed media pieces) and they listed the Closet Factory website instead of www.brushstrokesbymaria.com. They did get the address right and they spelled my name correctly, so right now I'm trying to focus on the positives (although I must admit that when I first saw it, I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach).

-Speaking of First Friday, the September Art Walk was absolutely fantastic! Jen was busy doing Tarot readings for most of the evening, and I sold four pieces: a collage, an oil pastel, and two paintings! The crowds weren't as big as they've been in previous months, but those who came were interested and engaging...and thankfully the number of people who walked in and went straight for the food was minimal.

-Tomorrow is the Family Arts Festival in Brunswick! I will be doing a collage workshop with my friend Trish (from Brunswick Art Collaborative and Northeast Noodle) and I'm really looking forward to it. We have tons of great supplies and the weather is supposed to be beautiful. I will fill you in on all the details!

Well, I think I've touched on most of what's been happening art-wise over the last month. I will try my best to not let this much time go by between posts again!

No comments: