Friday, September 23, 2011

radio, radio

I was on the radio on Wednesday! I was one of six artists interviewed on "What's Up", an arts-related show on 91.1 WBOR (Bowdoin College's radio station), hosted by Barbara Duff. The show's focus this week was on the 10x10 Brunswick show, and I was chosen to speak because my "Lemon" painting came in third in the poster contest. I found out I'd be doing this on Tuesday night, which is good because the show was Wednesday afternoon and I didn't have lots of time to dwell on it or get myself all worked up. I was next to last to be called into the studio, but I'm really glad that's how it worked out. Don't get me wrong, I was nervous sitting in the green room and listening to the other artists going before me, but rather than making things worse, it gave me a little time to settle down, breathe deeply, and get used to hearing what the rhythm and the pace of the interview would be like.

First of all, Barbara Duff is a fantastic interviewer! She made it an extremely pleasurable experience. I had so much fun, and Barbara completely put me at ease (even though I was nervous). To my surprise, my time in the studio time flew by and I found that I could have spoken to her for a lot longer. We chatted about lots of things, including when I first knew I wanted to be an artist, the pieces I have in the show, my love of color, and the fact that I try to put positive energy out through my work...I even got to plug my website and my monthly solo shows at the Closet Factory office!

Really, I had a blast, and I never would have guessed that at the end of the interview, I would be wishing I had just a few more minutes in the studio. I am so grateful for the experience, and I'm very happy that friends and family were able to hear me through the live stream on wbor.org. Now I just need to get a copy for myself so I can hear how it sounded!

No comments: