Friday, September 23, 2011

family arts festival recap

When I finished my last blog post, I remembered I hadn't given a recap of the Family Arts Festival as I had promised. I know this technically makes two posts in one day, but with the way things have been lately, I figured I'd be better off writing it now instead of waiting for another time. So, here goes...
The Family Arts Festival was, of course, tons of fun. It was a beautiful, sunny day and people were out in full force. The collage workshop this year ran from 10 am to 2 pm, two hours longer than last year's event. My friend Trish joined me this year, and it was great working together. Kat Logan was kind enough to help me set up, and Heather Gelwick came by when Trish needed to leave to work at Northeast Noodle (the bright orange food cart new to the mall this year). There were also volunteers from Bowdoin College pitching in, carrying supplies to and from my car and cleaning up. Everyone helped out and it was greatly appreciated!

Once again, kids of all ages made really beautiful work. We had quite a crowd for a while, so much so that I think next year we may need to add another table for a larger workstation! This year, we had two and a half tables for supplies and one and a half for workspace, which is more room than we had last year. It's hard to believe it got crowded, but it did! The time went by quickly and I hated to have to make the announcement that we needed to clean up to make the space available for the next workshop.

I am so happy to be a member of Five Rivers Arts Alliance, the organization responsible for this and many other wonderful arts events in the Brunswick area. They did a fantastic job from start to finish, once again making the Family Arts Festival a great experience for everyone involved...and I'm already looking forward to next year!

No comments: