Thursday, September 4, 2014

walking in l/a

This past Friday night was Art Walk Lewiston/Auburn, and I am SO happy to have been a part of it! Here's a little recap:

Terry and I arrived in Lewiston just after 4 pm so I could check in at the L/A Arts office before everything got started. Penny Drumm and Josh Vink were there to greet us, brief us on how things worked, give us our official volunteer badges, and answer any questions we had. Sales of artwork would need to go through the L/A Arts office, but I was was given the go-ahead to take care of any magnet sales on my own. Penny and Josh couldn't have been nicer, and they made me feel very welcome and excited to be a participant.

After checking in, we realized we had about 45 minutes before the Art Walk officially began, so we popped in to She Doesn't Like Guthrie's for some beverages (iced mocha latte for me, draft microbrew for Terry) and a little magnet re-stocking! Speaking of Guthrie's, they have a Kickstarter campaign happening right now: they are hoping to expand and open an independent theater! They have been nothing but supportive of me and my art, so when I heard about their efforts, I knew I wanted to be a backer! There are only a few days left for them to reach their goal...maybe you'd like to be a backer, too! Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guthriesplace/guthries-independent-theater
Re-stocked and ready to go! 

We arrived at The Cupcakery just after 5 pm...we would have been there earlier, but we had a hard time finding a parking spot- a good sign! As soon as I walked through the door, I knew it was a nice fit for my work. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had three paintings on display; the other artist at The Cupcakery was Diamond Duryea, whose work I really enjoyed. Our paintings looked good together, and she was very nice as well. Diamond set up outside, and I stayed inside next to the section of the wall where my work was hanging. There was a little coffee table and a couch in the corner, which was perfect! I was able to set up my magnet display and have a comfy place to sit, all while being both out of the way of art walkers but close enough to chat and answer any questions. 

My section of wall! 

I was pleased and surprised at the number of people who came out to the Art Walk that night! Lewiston was hopping with art, artists, and music, and everyone seemed to be sporting a very big smile. I was smiling, too: not only was my work hanging in a fun and festive place, but I ended up selling seven magnets! Plus, I found out that my paintings would be at The Cupcakery for at least a couple of weeks, so anyone who wants to stop by and see my work and have a cupcake or two (the chocolate twist was decadent) still has time! By the way, here's my temporary "artist page" on the Art Walk Lewiston/Auburn site: http://www.artwalklewistonauburn.com/art/DisplayArtist.php?Artist=595

My slightly-smaller-than-usual magnet display! 


No comments: